Coconut Cream Pie – Gluten, Sugar & Dairy Free
Coconut Cream Pie – Gluten Free, Sugar Free & Dairy Free
Coconut Cream Pie is one of those desserts that seems perfect for the spring and summer months! However, for a coconut lover like me, it is certainly good any time of the year! I adapted this recipe from one posted on Today’s Mama to make it more allergy friendly. It does have almond flour in the crust but you could easily make a crust with all coconut flour.
Put all the dry ingredients for the crust in a food processor then pulse to mix. Next, add all the wet ingredients and run processor until well combined.
Press all the ingredients into the bottom and up the sides of a pie pan and bake.
While the crust is baking, mix coconut with stevia then toast it for your topping.
Make your custard.
Let everything cool and add custard to crust then sprinkle with toasted coconut! Finally, enjoy!
Coconut cream pie that is allergy friendly
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¹/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ teaspoon liquid stevia
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract (or you can use all vanilla)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- almond milk – 1 can of coconut milk + enough almond milk to equal 3 cups
- ¾ teaspoon liquid stevia
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract (or use all vanilla)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ½ – 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- liquid stevia
- Put dry ingredients in food processor then pulse to blend.
- Add the liquid ingredients in with the dry ingredients, process until well mixed.
- Press the mixture in the bottom and up the sides of a 9″ pie pan.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes.
- Whisk the egg yolks into a medium size bowl. Set aside.
- Combine cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Add milk to the pan slowly, stirring to avoid clumps.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until the mixture boils. Let it boil for 1 minute.
- Add ½ the milk mixture to the egg yolks, stirring to temper.
- Add egg mixture back into saucepan and boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and mix in extracts, coconut oil and coconut.
- Let cool for 20-30 minutes then pour into baked crust.
- Mix the coconut with a few drops of stevia.
- Spread the coconut on a parchment covered baking pan.
- Bake at 400° for 2-3 minutes. Check frequently so coconut does not burn
- Sprinkle toasted coconut on top of pie.
- Place pie in refrigerator to set.
What is your favorite kind of pie? Leave a comment!